One of the many diseases that can be effectively treated with Aloe is inflamed hemorrhoids, a very common and very annoying problem that millions of people worldwide suffer from, especially in developed countries.
What are hemorrhoids and why do they become inflamed?
Hemorrhoids are vascular structures present in the anal canal. They are part of us, we all have them. In some cases, these blood vessels can swell to a greater extent and become inflamed, resulting in pain, itching and sometimes even bleeding.
The main cause is an incorrect diet, poor in fiber and rich instead in sweets, sugars, fried foods, dairy products, saturated fats and refined foods. A diet of this type inevitably leads to constipation, which becomes chronic and causes prolonged strain during defecation, which promotes inflammation of the hemorrhoids.
The problem can be further fueled by foods that have a highly irritating effect on hemorrhoids, such as cold cuts, alcohol, chocolate, pepper and chili pepper.
Other causes can be the abuse of some drugs, such as contraceptives and laxatives, and the lack of movement, or a sedentary lifestyle.
How to treat hemorrhoids?
The first step to cure inflamed hemorrhoids is to remove the cause, improving the diet. Here are some simple tips that anyone can apply with excellent results:
- Increase fiber intake, consuming more vegetables, fruits, legumes and whole grains (better if gluten-free cereals, such as brown rice, sorghum, millet, quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat). The fibers are essential to achieve and maintain a correct bowel regularity;
- Reduce the consumption of refined foods: pasta, white bread, white rice, pizza, biscuits, crackers, rusks and flour-based products. In general I suggest avoiding wheat-based products altogether and to prefer whole grains gluten free, or low-gluten alternatives such as spelled, barley and oats. Refined foods do not contain fiber, also gluten contained in wheat can be one of the main causes of inflammation, especially if you are sensitive to gluten without knowing it.
- Reduce the consumption of sweets and chocolate: especially snacks, but also ice cream, cakes, pies, puddings, biscuits, etc. Beware also of sweet and energizing drinks (for example those for sportsmen), as well as chewing gum and candies. Even worse are those with the word “sugar-free”, which instead contain toxic sweeteners, such as aspartame and acesulfame, just to name a couple.
- Eliminate dairy products: beyond yogurt and milk kefir, which can help thanks to their probiotic intake, cow’s milk and dairy products like butter, cheese, cream and desserts containing milk, should be avoided completely as they promote constipation (in addition to be carcinogenic).
- Eliminate cold cuts: salami, ham, mortadella, loin, sausage and in general all the sausages are foods that fuel inflammation, so it is advisable to eliminate them completely from your diet.
- Sport and movement: To improve intestinal mobility and reduce inflammation of hemorrhoids it would be an excellent thing to practice sport or to do a minimum of movement every day. However, sports that can cause trauma and stress to the anus area must be avoided, such as riding, cycling, motorcycling or gym activities that require significant and continuous efforts such as body building. Preferred sports are swimming and aqua gym, which help the circulation and venous return of the lower limbs and pelvic area with benefits on hemorrhoids.
Aloe to cure hemorrhoids
We can also resort to natural remedies. Among the many remedies, Aloe is a wonderful remedy when it comes to solving cases of inflamed hemorrhoids, especially if accompanied by constipation.
Aloe can be used both internally (the juice to drink), and externally, by locally applying the Aloe gel. We will soon see how.
Why use Aloe?
The Aloe plant (both Aloe Vera and Aloe Arborescens), besides being a powerful anticancer, boasts many other medicinal properties. In particular:
- Anti-inflammatory: Aloe gel contains mucopolysaccharides with soothing and anti-inflammatory properties, both when used externally and when consumed, by drinking Aloe juice. Then if used externally the relief is almost instantaneous.
- Cicatrizing: Aloe contains substances with a healing action, so it is very useful for stopping bleeding.
- Laxative: Aloe contains aloin and other substances (anthraquinones) with marked laxative properties, as well as mucilages that soften the stools and make them easier to excrete in case of constipation.
How to take Aloe?
For a truly effective action the Aloe should be taken both internally and externally.
- Internal use: for internal use the Aloe is assumed as per the recipe of Father Romano Zago. Blend together 350 g of Aloe Arborescens leaves, 500 g of organic honey and 2-3 tablespoons of grappa (or other distillate). This juice should be taken regularly every day, three times a day, a tablespoon half an hour before the three main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- External use: for external use you can apply Aloe gel by extracting it directly from the leaf of the Aloe Arborescens or Aloe Vera plant (the latter contains more). Or you can buy special Aloe-based creams. The gel will be applied externally around the anus, several times during the day.
Where to buy Aloe?
The Aloe Arborescens plant, or Aloe Vera plant, can be bought in nurseries and through some farms that sell plants also on the internet (for example on this site). For the preparation of the juice with honey and grappa (recipe of Father Romano Zago) it is important to use the Aloe Arborescens, which has more active ingredients. Both Aloe varieties (both Vera and Arborescens) are fine for external use. In both cases they must be biological plants grown in the open air.
If you don’t have time, or do not want to prepare Aloe juice at home, you can buy ready-made products, fresh and without preservatives.
The Erbedimauro farm produces these juices to order, following the indications of Father Romano Zago (plants of at least 5 years old, cultivated in the open air without fertilizers or chemical substances, organic honey, harvested leaves and processed when the sun is low or absent, etc..). You can buy Aloe juice from the Erbedimauro farm on the site: www.erbedimauro.it
The farm, always starting from its own Aloe plants (in this case Aloe Vera), grown in Italy, extracts the gel that can be either drunk, used externally on the skin or, as in the case in question, to reduce inflammation of hemorrhoids. You can buy Aloe Vera gel on the company website, by clicking on the green button below.
Concentrated Aloe Vera Gel
Supplier: Erbedimauro Farm
Price: € 47 (VAT included)
Other natural remedies for hemorrhoids
In addition to Aloe there are other herbs with medicinal properties that can help solve the problem of inflamed hemorrhoids.
Let’s see which ones.
Helichrysum, botanical name Helichrysum italicum, is an aromatic plant characteristic of Mediterranean areas, where it grows spontaneously near the coasts and in sunny places, both in the mountains and by the sea.
It is also cultivated in many gardens for the beauty and the mixed aroma of chamomile and liquorice coming from its yellow flowers.
The flowers are used in phytotherapy for the preparation of decoctions and extracts (mother tinctures, dried extracts, essential oils, etc.). Helichrysum has a dual action against hemorrhoids. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory, so it works by reducing pain and itching. It also has anti-edema properties, which means it stops the bleeding.
How is Helichrysum used?
Helichrysum, like aloe, can be used both internally and externally.
- For internal use a decoction is prepared, that is to add a teaspoon of helichrysum flowers to about 250 ml of water and bring the water to a boil. It is boiled for about 5-6 minutes and then the flame is closed. Leave the helichrysum to infuse in boiling water for at least another 10 minutes and then filter and drink. We recommend at least 2-3 cups a day of this decoction.
- For external use, make compresses, always using the decoction. In this case it is important to wait for it to cool, so as not to burn the already inflamed hemorrhoids. With a piece of cloth, a compress is prepared by soaking the fabric in the decoction and then applying it to the area to be treated. This compress can also be used to treat other inflammations or skin disorders, such as cuts, wounds, insect bites, as well as eczema, dermatitis and even psoriasis.
Helichrysum herbal tea
Supplier: Erbedimauro Farm
Price: € 11 (VAT included)
Yarrow, botanical name Achillea millefollium, is a beautiful plant that unfortunately is little used today. In the past, the flowers of this plant were used mainly by women, as it was considered the most effective plant in solving the unpleasant disorders caused by menopause, as well as to regularize the menstrual cycle, whether scarce or absent, or if too abundant.
The properties of this plant do not end here. In phytotherapy, Yarrow herbal tea is also used for the treatment of hemorrhoids and other problems of the digestive system.
The yarrow has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antimicrobial, astringent and diuretic properties. In the case of hemorrhoids this plant works by reducing inflammation and blocking bleeding.
How to use Yarrow?
Flowers are used to prepare infusions. The water is brought to a boil (about 250 ml, equal to a cup), then the flame is turned off and about a teaspoon of dried Achillea flowers are poured into the boiling water. Wait 10 minutes, filter and the infusion is ready to drink. You can drink either hot, lukewarm or cold.
The yarrow infusion is also excellent for cramps and stomach pains, to combat swelling and as an anti-inflammatory in colitis.
Yarrow herbal tea
Supplier: Erbedimauro Farm
Price: € 7 (VAT included)
Where to buy these products?
The two remedies for hemorrhoids, helichrysum and yarrow, can be purchased in herbalist’s shop, or, also in this case, on the internet.
Given that many herbal products, due to the lower costs, come from China, for the purchase of a 100% made in Italy, organic product, from the producer to the consumer, you can also buy from the Erbedimauro farm website, which in addition to Aloe, cultivates many other herbs with medicinal properties.
You can find them on the website, in the herbal teas section: www.erbedimauro.it/herbal-teas